The only way to cultivate your spiritual ear—is to use it! In other words, do as you are told. When the Holy Spirit prompts you with instructions, obey them. Sure, there will be times when you think He wants you to do this; when He really wants you to do that. But that’s how you learn—by trial and error. God needs His people to be able to discern His voice and obey His commands. The more you try to listen and obey—the more faith you’ll have in your ability to hear what He wants you to do.
For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do (Ephesians 2:10, NIV).
God has a plan.
Since the fall of man, God has involved people in His restoration plan to restore mankind. Some declined, some wilted, and some fearfully stepped up to the challenge.
Apprehensive—but did as told.
God has always challenged His people to stretch beyond their apprehensiveness, and do as told.
- Moses’ lack of self-confidence was evident when God asked him to go before the Pharaoh on behalf of the Israelites. Moses responded: I don’t speak well.
However, he did as he was told.
- God asked Gideon to confront the Midianites. Gideon responded: I’m the weakest of my clan.
Nevertheless, he did as he was told.
- God anointed Jeremiah to be a spokesman before powerful leaders. Jeremiah responded: I’m too young for such a task.
Even so, he did as he was told.
Those were ordinary people who didn’t allow timidity or excuses stop them from doing extraordinary feats through the power of God. One thing is for sure, we all have a part in the plan.
What will be said about you?
Even still, ___________________ did as he/she was told.
God’s plan still unrolling . . .
It’s good we can read how those trailblazers’ faith overcame their insecurities; but now we have the baton; it’s our turn. For that reason, we should ask the Holy Spirit:
- Where do I fit in the plan?
- What’s at stake if I wilt or decline?
- Am I doing what You told me to do?
Sometimes we are waiting for God to move in our lives, and His waiting for us to—
Do as We are Told!
See you next week on Paulette Talks Faith.