Even when we have faith to hear God, we still don’t hear half the stuff He’s telling us. The gentle voice of the Holy Spirit often goes undetected because our spiritual antennas are usually programmed to only listen out for “big ticketed” issues.
But, the Spirit gives us invaluable information on run-of-the-mill everyday stuff that we often don’t hear in all our hustle and bustle. It’s the information He gives on those unassuming matters that could make the difference in us walking in chaos and failure, or peace and success.
Recently, someone asked me to write a post that will give people hope during these trying times. Quite often, our hope is in the whispers we overlook, the fleeting divine subtleties that float through our minds that we take for granted instead of viewing them as power-packed answers that we are seeking.
When we draw close, we hear more.
Sometimes we fail to receive all that God wants us to get from His Word because we aren’t paying close enough attention to what He drops into our spirits.
In Psalm 23, for example, the gentle voice of the Holy Spirit:
- Will direct us to those green pastures and still waters in verse 2.
- Will tell us what we should do to get our souls restored in verse 3.
- Will comfort us in the valley of death in verse 4.
- Will help us recognize the table, in verse 5, that He has prepared in the presence of our enemies.
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. 2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. 3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name’s sake. 4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. 5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. 6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.
Where is this secret place talked about in Psalm 91:1? The Holy Spirit is telling us how to get there when He whispers thoughts like:
- Instead of doing this and that, spend time with Me.
- Instead of relying on others, come to Me, and I will direct you.
- Instead of contemplating every thought that pops into your head, keep Me at the forefront of your mind throughout the day.
He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High shall remain stable and fixed under the shadow of the Almighty [Whose power no foe can withstand]. (AMP)
God is telling you stuff—so listen!
See you next time on Paulette Talks Faith.